Alameda County

Lost Worlds to take up all available space in Daughtrey’s, about third of building to remain unleased

Lost Worlds would be the sole occupant of the Daughtrey building, occupying about 25,000 square feet on the first floor and most of the basement, according to David Greensfelder, the developer for the county-owned building, The building’s second floor mezzanine would not be developed. The Disposition and Development Agreement (DDA) between …

Community

“Beer geek” looks to tap into Castro Valley

A self-proclaimed “beer geek” wants to open a beer garden in Castro Valley. John Heylin, a former Peace Corps volunteer and entrepreneur who lives up the road in Canyon, will be opening Lamorinda Taphouse in early February in Lafayette. He sees potential in Castro Valley and has been exploring sites here …

Community

Busy MAC meeting to discuss sidewalks, utility box art, Camp Sweeney expansion

Castro Valley’s Municipal Advisory Council (MAC) is set to cover a lot of ground on Monday night starting at 6:00 pm at the Castro Valley Library on 3600 Norbridge Avenue. Sidewalks and pedestrian safety Parents of Stanton Elementary School students will be on hand to advocate for two county-supported crossing …

Community

Castro Valley Gets Ready to Shine – Castro Valley Light Parade

The weather forecast is great for Saturday, November 12 so head on out to Castro Valley’s annual Meet in the Street & Light Parade. Castro Valley Boulevard will be closed between Redwood Road and San Miguel Avenue as people gather for a fun afternoon and evening. There will be live …

Alameda County

It says something about a community when it has more dispensaries than grocery stores

As a resident of the unincorporated Eden Area, I would like to share my personal opinion regarding the fact that Alameda County is considering an increase in the number of permits for medical marijuana dispensaries in the unincorporated Eden Area (i.e., Castro Valley, Ashland, Cherryland, San Lorenzo). The County is …

Alameda County Sheriff

SF Homeless Project: Castro Valley Creek homeless community, my neighbors

Castro Valley Matters is participating in the SF Homeless Project, an effort by over 70 Bay Area organizations to tell stories of homelessness in San Francisco and the Bay Area. The Castro Valley Creek is a sudden burst of natural beauty sandwiched between suburban strip malls, an office park, a small …

Community

SF Homeless Project: Telling the story in Castro Valley

Some 4,000 people in Alameda County are homeless.  They are the elderly, families, men, women and children. Many view homelessness as an urban problem, left to our cities to resolve. In fact, most of the visible homeless in Alameda County are estimated to be in Oakland and Berkeley, according to a …

Community

Jenny Lin Memorial Service

Castro Valley will gather on Friday evening to remember Jenny Lin, whose May 27, 1994 murder remains unsolved. Her parents, John Lin and Mei-Lian Lin, started the Jenny Lin Foundation “to promote child safety and youth music education.” The 22nd annual memorial service begins at 7:00 at the Castro Valley …

Community

How CEQA scuttles projects like Sprouts, even when it’s not about the environment

A half-empty Rite-Aid on Castro Valley Boulevard was about to be revitalized into a shopping center featuring a Sprouts grocery store. Now a law originally envisioned to protect California’s environment may scuttle the transformation of the eastern gateway to Castro Valley’s business district. Enacted in 1970, the California Environmental Quality …

Community

Caltrans Acknowledges Castro Valley Existence

One day back in July 2014, I was driving along on Northbound I-880.  I saw a sign that I had passed hundreds of times before, a standard “CITY LIMITS” sign, installed by Caltrans throughout California, but missing the “CITY LIMITS” part since it was for our unincorporated neighbors in San …