Community

Castro Valley residents step up to help North Bay fire victims

If you are looking to help our neighbors in the North Bay who have been impacted by devastating wildfires, consider supporting the efforts of Castro Valley residents who are organizing relief efforts. We also have some links to organizations based in the North Bay seeking donations. Helping animals in need …

Community

Daughtrey’s proposals imagine transformed building with coffee, beer and housing

Finalists for the Alameda County-owned Daughtrey’s building redevelopment project have proposed housing, a marketplace anchored by a natural foods grocery store, restaurants, coffee shops, a wine bar, and a tap house for the former department store building at 3295 Castro Valley Boulevard in Downtown Castro Valley. The Castro Valley Municipal Advisory Council …

Community

34th Lake Chabot Trail Challenge coming up on June 4

The 34th running of the Lake Chabot Trail Challenge is Sunday, June 4, featuring two races, either a 5K or half marathon. The half marathon course is a scenic, hilly loop, mainly on dirt fire roads.  The ridgeline views look down upon scenic Lake Chabot, surrounding grassy slopes, and eucalyptus groves.  …

Community

Adobe Art Center’s “Art in The Park”

The Adobe Art Center is always looking for ways to bring more art into your life! “Art in the Park” …our newest way to participate in the arts in Castro Valley Art in the Park 1st Tuesdays of each month 5:30 – 7:30pm In partnership with Castro Valley Street Eats Adobe …

Community

An interview with Paul Keim of Smalltown Space

You may have met Paul Keim around Castro Valley. He’s a baseball coach for Castro Valley Little League, a husband, a father of four, and a bandleader – his folk-pop ensemble, Smalltown Society, specializes in literate lyrics, vocal harmonies, and acoustic arrangements. Their debut album, A Road Most Traveled, is …

Eden JCC
Community

Eden Japanese-American Community and the 75th Year of Day of Remembrance

Recently, I had the honor of visiting the Eden Township Japanese Community Center (JCC) and meeting with its members, while representing Castro Valley Matters (CVM). During an engaging discussion with members, most of whom are residents of San Lorenzo, Ashland, Cherryland, Castro Valley and San Leandro, many expressed that they …

Community

Don’t know a Muslim? Meet one this Sunday, ask questions about Islam

Do you know a Muslim? Have you wondered why some women wear head scarves or what the difference is between Sunni and Shiite Muslims? You can ask these questions and more, when Moina Shaiq, a Muslim from Fremont, comes to Castro Valley Library this Sunday to talk about her life …

Community

End game is near in Daughtrey’s redevelopment, but where is community input?

The format of Wednesday’s special Municipal Advisory Council (MAC) meeting to discuss the redevelopment of the Daughtrey’s building in the heart of our downtown is the only opportunity for Castro Valley to comment before the developer is selected. This one meeting is a missed opportunity for the robust public input needed …

Community

Hello neighbor!

I’m no longer just Castro Valley’s Congressman – now I’m a neighbor too! My new district office opened January 3 at 3615 Castro Valley Blvd. – behind the KFC, next to the CVS – after I decided to consolidate my two old offices in Pleasanton and Hayward in order to …

Community

Break an addiction this year with the Eastbay Area Reciprocity Network

Most of us have a hard time asking for help when we face a difficult challenge. Usually we assume we can struggle through it by ourselves, and often we do, but at what personal cost? We are also convinced that we must be self sufficient even if we have ties …